Saturday, June 2, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month #1: Your First for the First

June is Migraine Awareness Month to help make Migraines more visible which was initiated by the National Headache Foundation.

There is a blogging challenge for the month to blog every day of the month on a prompt for the day to bring on each of our viewpoints on the topic. If you get stuck on a particular topic, there are a few extra topics at the bottom of the list which can be used as substitute topics. Please join if or when you can!

I will be intermittently participating in the Migraine Awareness Month Blogging Challenge in June.



The first challenge is:  Migraine Awareness Month #1: Your First for the First. Share the story of your first Migraine, what it was like, if you knew what it was, what you did, how you felt.



I first went to the doctor for head pain when I was around six years old. I can still remember the doctor telling my mother and me, “They’re just headaches. There’s nothing we can do about them.”

For me, that put my coping mechanisms into overdrive to which I was not officially diagnosed with Migraines until about thirty-seven years later after I had an incident at work which forced me to look into these terrible just headaches. I could also remember many times before this episode when I would squeeze my head trying to make the just headache pain go down.

Because these headaches were starting to affect my work and this incident actually got me called into my boss’ office (for the first time ever), I remained motivated enough to research Migraines after my headache had calmed down a few days later.

It was amazing to read about Migraines. It was like reading about me. I didn’t really know anyone who had headaches all of the time or had excruciating head pain at times. It was so eye opening. In my amazement, I briefly mentioned to my boss that I thought I had Migraines.  (I didn't know that Migraines had a stigma attached to them!)

That was the best thing I could have done. He immediately started talking to me about Migraines. His wife has Migraines and actually took medication to try to stop them from occurring! Wow, I really had a lot to learn.

I still call my boss my first Migraine teacher and don’t know where I would be if he didn’t give me that personal foundation to my Migraine education. This is a big reason why education is important to me as I don't want others to feel so alone or not know what's going on with themselves.



National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.fightingheadachedisorders.com.

No comments: