Sunday, May 24, 2009

Stackable Trigger Confusion

The more I have learned about Migraines, in a layman's sense, the more I feel I don't know about them and need to learn additional information. It seems triggers are one of the big keys to Migraines and what you do with your triggers is one of the most important factors for you as triggers can be very individual.

Right now, stackable triggers (podcast on triggers; transcript of podcast) are what is confusing me. Stackable triggers are triggers that don't necessarily trigger a migraine by itself, but can trigger a Migraine when we come across other stackable triggers or stress. What confuses me is that I'm not sure if I should just avoid stackable triggers all of the time too, that is if it is an avoidable stackable trigger. I would imagine this would be the prudent thing to do.

You see, I have a lot of triggers. Some are avoidable; some are not. I have gotten so much better about avoiding the triggers I can, but it does take time to break some old habits or to just not do something on impulse - without even thinking about it. Or worse yet, to do or eat something because you don't want to hurt someone else's feeling. This only ends up hurting you in the end. I am really trying to not play around with my triggers in general and stackable trigger limitations anymore.

I think these stackable triggers are still triggers even if they do not cause a full blown Migraine by themselves. I also do not know when an uncontrollable trigger may be lurking around and going to show it's evilness which will cause that dreaded Migraine. I can't afford the time or money that a Migraine costs any longer. I know how hard this is since I am faced with my triggers everyday.

One stackable trigger I find hard to give up right now is chocolate. It has always been my stress reliever. This is a time when I need my chocolate the most, but I also know I have to stay away from it if I want to get through this period of time. Talk about stress on top of stress!

I have a lot more to say about food triggers - just not right now. Food triggers have become a very sore subject for me; some justifiable, some not. I will not whine about my food triggers or whine because I ate something that caused me to get a Migraine especially if it was my fault. What I may do is complain about the number of food and other triggers I do have. But even then, I don't really like to complain unless I've just had too much to handle for too long or am just having a plain old rotten day. Right now, I should find out within the next month if I still have a job.

Now where's that chocolate when you really need it? Just kidding. That's not going to help me if I need to find a new job.

No comments: