Saturday, May 19, 2012

Disruptive Vacation

(Picture taken through bus window)
It had been a long time since I had been on a real vacation and I was looking forward to the well needed break and rest. I was also anticipating some type of interruption, slow down or relief to my chronic Migraines.

Have you ever regretted going on vacation if the Migraine monster followed along?

I guess I’m more disappointed that I couldn’t get more relief and it probably didn’t help the others with me enjoy their time as much as they should have too. I was really expecting the Migraines to not be as bad as ‘normal’ and in some ways I think they were probably a little more over the top than usual. I had a Migraine every day and I know it didn’t help that hormones were a factor that got added into the equation earlier than they were supposed to.

Another issue I had is that I’ve enjoyed some plane trips where the plane ride actually aborted worsening Migraines. Not this trip. My Migraine kept getting worse on the plane and although I had already hit medication limits, I really needed to do something about the Migraine and was glad it was a red eye flight home.

(Taken from helicopter, see blade?)
I just finished posting pictures to facebook. One of my very good friends posted a question about if I had any Migraines while I was there. I almost feel like I not only ruined some time for those I was with, but now I am disappointing some of my good friends at home as they were pulling for me too. Stupid Migraine attacks. We need to stop making these attacks so explosive and disruptive!

I will take this as my opportunity to explain to my facebook friends and family that we can’t control Migraine disease despite all of the precautions we can take – don’t get hungry, wear good sunglasses, wear my hats, stay hydrated, etc.  Migraine attacks can still occur in a beautiful location while surrounded by loving family members.

This is another reason we need more research into Migraine disease which could result in better treatment for all of us. We still need more signatures for the Alliance for Headache Disorders Advocacy's petition urging Congress to hold hearings on the impact of Migraine and other headache disorders.

"Conviction is worthless unless it is converted into conduct." ~Thomas Carlyle

If you’ve already signed the petition, please spread the word. Congress must better understand us and how many of us, our families and friends are willing to stand up for ourselves before we will see any type of increased federal funding. We need to help us.

I don’t totally regret going on my trip as I still participated in as many activities as I could and I hope I wasn’t as big of a lump as I felt like I was for mom, aunt and sister. I do wish it could have been better – like no monsters should have come along…

How did you feel when travelling and vacationing when you got hit with a Migraine attack? Did you feel like maybe you shouldn’t have gone on your trip?  How did you cope?

No comments: