Sunday, August 21, 2011

Big Work Move

Well, this was the big move weekend at work. They moved almost two hundred people from my building to another town almost ten miles away. Some of us needed to come in this weekend to unpack and do some testing. This will make us available for anyone who has any questions and to make sure the basics are working when people come in tomorrow.

I had never been in this building and never saw any pictures of the area where we would be sitting. It was hard picking out a desk from a paper map and the floor plans had changed several times since the desk assignments were originally picked out. When I say the plans changed, I mean offices either disappeared or appeared out of no where.

My desk was supposed to be facing a corner until the office I was butted up against was taken out which also meant I would be on an end and subject to many more lights. There was something else I was super concerned about too. I think this area is going to be like Grand Central Station with a lot of activity, hustle, bustle and loud talking. I would have been in the middle of the section of our business that does a lot of buzzing about.

A few days before the move, I had a chance to see the final floor plan. I was still very uncomfortable about where my desk was going to be. I wasn't expecting it, but I saw another desk which looked like it would be perfect for me and asked about moving to this other area. This desk had changed from the original plans and the change was approved!

After finally seeing the building, I have to tell you that my old desk had a lot of lights and was indeed in the middle of everything. My new desk is back to facing a corner with an office in front of me and an interior wall next to me. I am so happy that I was able to get my desk relocated to this other area.

This desk is probably the best spot for me and I couldn't have picked a better place to sit if I had been there in person to choose it. I was able to get a good look at my desk this weekend before everyone comes in tomorrow and all of the real chaos begins. Most people are not going to be happy with their areas since everyones desks are smaller.

I will need a spot light disabled (I have a temporary unprofessional fix up) and the fluorescent light will need the same type of light sleeve I had in my old office. I'm not sure if the new building has the light sleeves we had in our old building, but I'm not really concerned about that either. I believe that Migraineurs learn to take care of themselves and will plan for the next step when possible; to do what needs to be done. Let's just say before we left the old building, my light sleeves had disappeared and I actually ended up working my last day there with my office lights turned off.

I believe the new desk location is going to be so much quieter than the other location too. The new area is also right next to my team and others I've been sitting near for many years. I've still got alternate noise plans ready since I won't be in an office any longer, but I don't anticipate needing them as often as I would have if I didn't move my desk out of Grand Central Station. It really is the best place for me.

We'll find out tomorrow how the whole situation works out. I will need to get maintenance to take care of those two light issues or who knows what might appear some day out of the blue and into the dark.

.


2 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm glad things seem to be working out for you at work. That's great that you were able to change desks. I hope it continues to be great.

MigrainePuppet said...

Thanks, Jamie. It turns out this desk was much better than I could have imagined. I don't think I would have been able to stay at the old desk. It is such a relief.