Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Migraines and Frustrations

I’m a few days late and a dollar short to enter the April Headache and Migraine Disease Blog Carnival hosted by Diana Lee on Somebody Heal Me. I had actually started this with plenty of time to finish before the deadline and definitely before the extended deadline, but you know how it is when things happen and you can’t make that goal you set. Yes, that is frustrating too...

I realized that I express a lot of frustrations around Migraine disease. There are so many things that go on where I want to throw my hands up in the air and just give up, but I know that wouldn’t be good for anyone; especially me.

I can’t just give up on making sure I have the right doctor, trying to keep up with my disease, finding the right medication, trying to get some thickheaded loved one to understand why I can’t make every special event like I used to and the list goes on and on. I’m going to talk about my latest frustration around Migraines.

Like so many others, I’ve been trying to find the right Migraine preventatives for years now. Although there are hundreds of medications that are used and an astronomical number of combinations of these medications we can take, none of these preventatives have been developed specifically for Migraines. These had been developed for other diseases where it was discovered that they helped with some peoples Migraines.

After doing some reading around thyroid diseases, I find the Migraine medication issue even more frustrating. Why? Because it seems like for the thyroid, it’s pretty much take this medication where it mostly works for everyone and there are hardly any side effects. Wwwhat? A pill? No side effects? I may be understating that a little since I haven’t gone to my doctor’s appointment yet, but that’s what it seems like from what I’ve read and heard from people I have talked with a thyroid condition.

If that is true, that is nothing compared to going to the doctor, getting a new prescription and taking the prescription for two to three months to see if it might help you. We also have the bonus of knowing that some of the side effects may even go away after a little while. If this medication works even a little bit, we have a few choices we can make. Maybe we can increase the dosage a little more or try another medication in the same class or try another medication along with that prescription and repeat the waiting game again.

Hmmm, do you think we need more Migraine research so we can get a better medication regimen that would help us so we wouldn’t be like our own little science experiments with every new medication we need to try?

.

No comments: