Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tough Winter; Now Losing It?

This has been a tough winter and I hear it's been harder for many Migraineurs. In my state, we usually get snow, but nothing like what we have had this year. We probably didn't see our grass for about two months which is very unusual for us and also meant two months of gleaming snow.

Shortly after we finally saw our grass again, we had back to back snow storms. Right now, we're back to white lawns with all of the snow glare glory that comes along with it, but I don't think it will last too long this time.

Because of these and other uncontrollable triggers, I actually ended up suspending my elimination diet for a little while. This meant that I could only eat the foods I had already added in to that point and was not adding anything new back in until I felt these triggers weren't going to keep interfering with my diet. This helped maintain the integrity of my diet while not falsely identifying foods that don't trigger a Migraine for me.

My difficulties continued into this week as this was the week that started off with the two snow storms. On Wednesday, I also received a phone call from home and needed to leave work abruptly with the expectation that I would take care of a few things, finish my workday from home and return back to work the next day.

As it turned out that next day, I ended up working from home again while taking care of an injured family member. After spending the day at home with all of the new smells around, I believe I ended up with a smell induced Migraine and possibly a new symptom that I hope doesn't stick around.

Most of the time I get nauseated, but I don't lose my cookies. I ended up getting sick in the middle of the night. I don't know if I caught something or if it was Migraine related. I have read that some people feel better after they get sick. My head felt three times worse afterward plus I didn't even try to take anything for the pain because I didn't think I could have kept it down.

I really hope this is not a new Migraine symptom of mine. It's bad enough that my Migraines have changed and I have developed other triggers over the past year, but I would rather it be a one time thing or a twenty-four hour bug I caught. No matter how uncomfortable it may have been, I've always been grateful that I would only get nauseated with Migraines and I hope this is not the start of another Migraine change.

If you get sick from Migraines, does your head typically feel better, worse or about the same after you lose it? How has your winter been? Is spring really here now?

.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I often get nauseated and vomit with my migraines. I generally do not feel better head wise after...but my tummy feels better!

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

When I had migraines the head pain would literally explode for about a half hour after I violently tossed my cookies. It would drag on even longer if I forgot to upchuck a cookie or two. The migraine would subside about an hour and a half after I had COMPLETELY emptied my stomach. The way I could tell it was a migraine would be that nothing had digested, it would still be in the bites I took.

Migrainista said...

It sure doesn't feel like spring, even with the cherry blossoms in bloom. My head really hates all the cold and wind. I've never been one to vomit with my migraines though I do get quite a bit of nausea. Let's hope you just had a bug.

MigrainePuppet said...

Jessica - my tummy did feel better after, but definitely not my head!

Winny - I wasn't watching the clock or anything, but it was probably about two hours before my head didn't wanted to explode anymore. If it happens again, I'll have to keep an eye out on everything.

Migrainista - I am so ready for spring now. Just before the last storms, some of our flowers actually started coming up. I hope this was just a bug too, but it's nice to know what to expect if it is something I will have to contend with more often.